Friday, October 06, 2006

Suggested Reading...

Wonder Woman


OK...so I have to admit...Wonder Woman is my favorite of the big three. I honestly think she is the most problematic and complex of the three of them. I also have very fond memories of watching the television show as a child. Wonder Woman is the bomb. That's all I have to say about that!


The Books:
(click on titles for links)


Gods and Mortals
: George Perez, Greg Potter, Len Wein; After Crisis on Infinite Earths George Perez and Greg Potter decided to rebuild Wonder Woman from the ground up. They started at issue #1 and from the beginning of Wonder Woman's life. I remember getting the first issue of this title in 1987. I was blown away...they completely made a Wonder Woman that was relevant to the times. Of all these books I would say this one is probably the most influential in how we view Wonder Woman today. This is a must have.



The Contest: William Messner-Loebs, Mike Deodato Jr; This story is straight up scandalous! Princess Diana is challenged for the role of Wonder Woman and she looses! This is probably one of the most controversial runs in the second series of the Wonder Woman title. I think the John Byrne run was the most! The art work is what was shocking this time. They took the world of WW to a place we definitely hadn't seen before! The absolute opposite of Perez's very virginal version of the character.

Paradise Found: Phil Jimenez; This is the saddest story in the past 20 years of the character. The majority of the story is about the relationship between Diana and her mother Hippolyta. It is a story that teaches us what a true hero is.



JLA: A League of One: Christopher Moeller; This is actually a JLA book but the focus is Wonder Woman. It is a stand alone story about WW being faced with a decision that could destroy her team. The art work is gorgeous. I love this book.


The Hiketeia: Greg Rucka, J.G. Jones, Wade Von Grawbadger; Wonder Woman and Batman have the strangest relationship ever! This is a story about a centuries old ritual which Wonder Woman becomes involved with. Unfortunately a key player in this ritual is wanted by Batman!



Mission's End
: Greg Rucka, Ron Randall; This is a companion piece to Sacrifice (a book I mentioned in the Superman suggested reading section). It is also the last few issues of the second series. Wonder Woman's mission in the patriarch's world has failed. She is a wanted criminal and her home (Themyscira) has vanished forever. She is at her lowest point. I think the story telling is great. It isn't my favorite art but it is important in the history of the character.

There are many Golden Age stories (not to mention stories from the 60's and 70's) that are worth picking up. I may go back and pick a few for each of the big three in the future. I really wanted to focus on the last 20-30 years of each of the characters.

Enjoy!

No comments: